Friday, March 22, 2013

BE Re-Inspired with TAWS

The current challenge at The Alley Way Stamps (TAWS) is this fabulous clean and simple, blue and green, stripe and square piece!!


I started playing with punched squares in different patterns.  Then the ocean in the maps at the top led me to the Sea Mates, then the map colors led me to give him a "turtley awesome" colorful shell!

Turtley Awesome edged

Turtle Close-Up

I've been taking a patterned paper class from Online Cards Classes and one of the techniques is to run a gray Copic around the edge of your paper to make them stand out.  I used to edge my paper all the time. I even posted about it years ago here.  But I used to do it by rubbing the edges along a black ink pad.  This had a couple of flaws (1) I couldn't easily do curved edges and (2) if I touched an edge before the ink dried I got inky fingers and 99 times out of 100, I'd get the smudge on my card!  I love this so simple idea of running a gray marker along the edge - so simple and a big impact.  (She recommended T1 or T3, but did use a T5 in a later video on a darker paper.

I did my card first without edging - you can see it side by side by looking at the unedged close-up vs. the card picture.  The card comes to life - it adds a shadow to each layer.  Here's the whole uninked card if you want to see it looking flatter.

Turtley Awesome
I hope you play along with the challenge.  If you don't have any stamps by TAWS, never fear - there are free digital stamps!!
  • Stamps: The Alley Way Stamps Sea Mates
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Turquoise, Pool and Pear
  • Ink: Memento Black and Copics
  • Accessories: Ranger Glossy Accents, Martha Stewart Crystal Fine Glitter

7 comments:

  1. This is too sweet...love that turtle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference with the inking on the edge of the paper. And your turtle is awesomely dudeliscious! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim - Like you, I ink the edges of 'most everything on my cards, and, like you, I get the ink on my fingers and make accidents on my card. But, I have tried using a marker to outline and do not get a straight line. Would you mind sharing your technique? Love your cards, I visit every day. I am amazed at how much you accomplish--crafting, studying, mothering. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so cute Kim and I adore that sparkly turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stinkin' cute, and I'm amazed at the difference inking the edges makes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, sparkley turtle ... the inked edges really do give so much more definition to the DP! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!